Friday, May 4, 2012

Well, work was worth going to today wasn't it?


I've been wanting to post, but I'm having a hard time putting into words everything going on in life right now.  Change and decision making have never been my strong point. And so many of my friends are moving away...but that's another story for another day.  I've been having up days and down days.  I will post more on it later. It's not quite the time yet.

Today however, was AWESOME!  
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf came to visit Icon, and I got to shake his hand!  And his wife's!  It  was an awesome moment. It was strange, because the whole spirit in the room changed when he walked in.  It was a cool feeling.  Iet just felt peaceful, and so many people got up and just started going to him to shake his hand.  I was too shy.  But then when things quieted down in the office, he was walking past my desk, and the next thing I hear myself say is “I want to shake your hand!”  LOL!  I was a little embarrassed at my outburst, but couldn’t let a moment like that pass by right?

It’s also my Dad’s birthday today.  I hadn’t thought about it coming upon me so quickly until it got here, and I woke up and thought…it’s daddy’s birthday.  I should have known, because every year without even thinking about it, I start getting very emotional around this week of May.  And this year was no exception.  I have been very emotional all week, just felt so up and down.  I wished my dad was here to talk to for the past few weeks.  Sometimes a girl just needs her daddy.  I miss him so much, sometimes more then others. Sometimes I keep so busy I don’t think about it much, but other times, I hurt so deep and wish he were here.  Daddy's make things better for little girls.  I long to have a fathers blessing again, to feel his strong daddy hands on my head.  I loved the feeling of his hands, they felt different then other dad’s hands…I was thinking the last few weeks about how I haven’t sang out loud for so long, not since daddy died.  I lost my voice, I forgot the words to songs we sang.  Everytime I open my mouth to sing the songs out loud, it doesn’t feel quite right without him.  And I probably quit because singing made me miss him sooo much!  That was our thing. Singing together. Old songs. I didn’t notice really that I had stopped until I tried singing the other day out loud for the first time in sooo long, and the words caught in my throat and I felt my heart cry “I miss you dad” I don’t often get teary about things, but I will tear up pretty quick thinking about my dad.  I hope I find my voice again, because I want Aspen to have that with me.  I want to teach her the songs my daddy taught me, so they aren’t forgotten. Happy Birthday Dad!  I hope heaven is smiling all around you! I love you more then words can say.

1 comment:

Jamie Younker said...

Oh Shanda... what a beautiful tribute to your dad. I am sure he is with you often. I won't pretend to know how you feel... but I do understand what you mean about "losing your voice." I hope you can find yours. It was SO painful to sing after I lost my twins. I physically couldn't do it- the words would get stuck in my throat. I hope you find your voice soon. Even though it was extremely hard to start singing again... I now find it helps me heal.

How neat to meet President Uchtdorf and his wife!