Saturday, August 18, 2012

Little life scares

This morning at 3am I was dreaming I was suffocating.  I woke up and couldn't breathe.  I laid there trying to will my throat to clear but it was blocked.  It took me a moment to figure out I was having an asthma attack and quickly got up and ran for my inhaler.  I took a hit of my inhaler but I still wasn't feeling right, my fingers started going tingly and my head was getting light.  I've been here before.  I've passed out soon after these feelings before.  I took some slow breaths and felt the sweat on my forehead beading.  Ashton was gone to Army so I started frantically calling my mom in case I passed out and Aspen would be scared.  I couldn't get her on the phone, so I woke up Aspen and while I was gasping for air told her I needed her to stay calm and if mommy passed out I needed her to keep calling grandma for help.  She was so brave, I thought she would cry, but she just got up and went and got me a drink of water, which helped, I was breathing a little easier.  My sister wasn't answering either, so I was just dialing my brother Sheridan when my mom finally called, I told her to hurry and come get me so we could get to the hospital.  I already felt the weird sensation that comes right before I pass out.

Aspen sat by me and held my hand and called grandma and told her to hurry faster.  My mom got to our house and gave me some strange liquid herbal medicine (this is not unusual for my mom to shove strange herbs down my throat...haha.  Been that way all my life).  I started coughing uncontrollably which was actually a good thing because it started getting the mucus moving so I could get some air in. Then we were on our way to the ER.  I had started breathing a lot better by the time we got there, but still felt like I was gagging on something in my back of my throat-which turns out my muscles were spasming and just wouldn't stop long enough for me to get my breath long.

This was all brought on by some Allergic reaction though I'm still not sure what caused it.  The air here has been horrible though and having my sinus problems didn't help.  They gave me a mist inhaler and a muscle relaxer and some benodryl, and I finally stopped gagging and coughing and could finally breathe.  There is not much scarier to me then not being able to breathe.  They checked the baby and the heart beat was high, but that was most likely due to my inhaler-poor thing.  but everything seems to be fine and I went home and slept a long long time.  I was just so proud of Aspen and what a big helper she was.  She stayed so much calmer then I thought she would.  And she was very concerned about the baby being ok.  This is the 3rd time in my life I have had to go to the ER for an asthma attack.  They don't happen to me very often and usually I can control them, but I think I went into panic mode at the same time, so it didn't help much.

Oh the experiences life hands us.  Not excited for the medical bill, but thankful for doctors when we need them!

2 comments:

Lacey said...

What a scare! You handled it so well. I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of, and so glad you have family nearby that could help you out when you REALLY need it! And what a brave girl Aspen is, handling it so well herself. I hope you won't be having any experiences like that again any time soon- or at all!

Adam and JaCoy said...

I haven't read blogs for a while now. I am so excited for you! Congrats on the baby, that is such great news! I love your new hair by the way. You look beautiful! I hope things go well for you.