In my opinion, the movie was done rather
well. I was wondering how they
would pull off the prostitute part without making it too awful and
uncomfortable to watch (which of course it’s a little uncomfortable…we are
talking about prostitutes after all) but they pulled it off pretty well. One
exception being a quick part in the tenardiers place that I think could have
been left out with none knowing the better. Didn’t need to see that part. Anne Hathaway stole the movie for me. I’m not a huge fan of hers other than
in Princess Diaries, but she was amazing in this. I was captivated everytime she came on the screen. I couldn’t take my eyes off her.
At first when the singers began, my first
reaction was that they were not great singers and they should have gotten real
singers, but then as the movie progressed I realized that had they had perfect
singers, the movie would not have felt so raw, so real. It would have felt like a prettily sang
opera movie. I wouldn’t have felt
the emotion I did. I liked that it
wasn’t perfect. I liked that they
didn’t perfect every scene. I
enjoyed the imperfections in this movie like I wouldn’t normally feel for any
other movie. I normally like them
to be perfect scenes, but had that
been the case for this “play” it would have felt too scripted. I think director Tom Hooper did
a good job with it. I loved the
close up shots that felt so intimate.
I enjoyed the scenery. I
thought it was all done rather well.
What I didn’t enjoy
was how much camera shake there was, but then again, it adds to that “Real”
feel, so I guess I can excuse that.
Maybe it wouldn’t have felt so awful had I not been so close to the big
screen.
I struggled with
Russel Crowe playing Javert. Maybe
if I watched it again I wouldn’t mind him so much. He just came off a little more cowardly then I would have
liked, and his looks are too nice to see him as the tough mean guy
I also think the
ending – wedding part – ended too abruptly. The tenardiers just didn’t seem to get to play the part I think they should
have. It seemed cut so short for
them. My favorite adaptation of
that scene I have ever seen is still from when Floyd Salisbury directed it for
Ellen Eccles a few years back. It
was very entertaining, and gave the tenardiers a chance to shine. The movie just seemed to move right
past them, and moved on so fast.
Same with the scene in the sewer when the tenardiers are stealing from
the dead…
It was of course a
long movie with lots of singing…but if you went to it expecting anything less,
you don’t know Les Mis. I almost felt
like it was cut too short in spots.
Anyway, that was my
opinion. There wasn’t much I didn’t
like, because I just absolutely love Les Mis. It’s my all time favorite. I think it helped that I didn’t let myself go with huge
expectations, because I really didn’t want to be disappointed.
No comments:
Post a Comment