My father in law took Ashton, Aspen and I out to dinner the other night, then to the pumpkin walk. At the restaurant the waitress was asking Aspen what she would like to drink and listing out the drinks she thought a little girl would like, and Aspen looks at her for a minute and says, "you know, at this time of year, you really OUGHT to be serving hot chocolate!" hahaha! that girl always says whats on her mind. She keeps us busy with how busy her mind is. Grandpa told her he met an Aspen the other day, and without even taking a breath she says "how old was she, what was she wearing, what color was her hair, was she nice?" we all just busted out laughing. Her mind is so fast she rarely waits for the answer to the first question before she asks the next.
She's extremely excited about having a baby sister, but I can tell she's starting to think things through about it and realizing she won't be the only one in her parents eyes anymore. The other day she says to me "mom, I feel like the world would be a better place without me." (How old IS she!! UGH!) and I asked why she was feeling that way. She said "because you have another baby to love now" broke my heart. So we spent the next long while talking about why no one could ever take her place, and just because there will be another baby to love, doesn't mean we will love her any less. Any one have suggestions for what to do to make the older child feel included and special when there is another baby on the way? I imagine it's a little different with the 7 year gap...she's had us to herself for abt 7 years and now she will have to share our time. But I never want her to feel like she isn't just as important. I told her all the ways she could help me with a baby so she can be included and a part of it, but I don't think it's quite sunk in yet.
I love Aspen so much, she has such a sweet heart and she is so smart! I hope I can be a good mom to both and make them both feel special!
1 comment:
Right now it's hard because there are so many unknowns for her. But once the baby is here, and she can see on a day to day basis that she is still loved and needed, it will be easier to get it through her head.
There ought to be hot chocolate... love that girl.
Post a Comment