Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The tooth-fairy has rules too

So Aspen learned the hard way this morning, that everyone has rules...even the tooth-fairy.  Last night she stuck her 5th lost tooth under her pillow for the tooth-fairy to come and get.  I told her she had to go to bed or the tooth-fairy would not be coming.  She usually does alright at bedtime settling down, but somedays I feel like pulling my hair out.  She gets out of bed 50 times, with 50 excuses.  "I wanted to give you another hug, I'm hungry, I want to sleep in your bed, I want to read, I need a drink, The dog got out of his cage"...and so on.  Last night I finally got so tired of her getting out of bed, I finally just said "Aspen, if you do not go to bed soon, the tooth-fairy will not be coming." and didn't say another word to her.  She continued her game of getting out of bed and I ignored it.  Ashton finally hollered for her to get her little bum in bed and stay there.  We try not to raise our voices too often, but sometimes it's the only thing she will respond to.  And off to sleep she finally went.  The tooth-fairy left a note for her this morning saying that she had come by, but Aspen was still awake, so she had to leave and will try again the next night.  When Aspen woke up she was soooo mad!  she yelled, she cried, she threw her tantrum.  I calmly explained to her that there are rules and if those rules are not followed, then it causes consequences, and yes, that is super sad.  Good learning moment.  I likened it unto the gospel.  I gave her a big hug, told her if she went to bed on time tonight, maybe the tooth-fairy  WOULD come by.

Now, I know there are parents who don't play these "mythical" stories with their children.  No, there is no real tooth fairy, no, there is no real santa, etc. And I really thought a lot about it when Aspen was a baby and if I would or would not play into the games.  Well, when it came down to it, I decided that as a child, I LOVED believing in those things.  I loved the thought of a Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, the Tooth-fairy.  And when I found out they were not real, it did not affect me negatively in any way.  If anything it broadened my love for playing pretend and make-believe.  I enjoyed the game.  And I wanted my daughter to enjoy it too.  When she has asked me if Santa is real, I have not lied to her.  I have simply asked her if she thinks he is real.  She says yes, and I say, then he is real in your heart.  Which is the truth.  Santa is still real in my heart...the symbol of a man who is so selfless he spends all his time thinking of ways to make kids happy and giving gifts...why not?  When she has really pressed and said she wants me to tell her the truth, I tell her the truth, but I say it's ok to make believe and enjoy it.  There will be no lies, but there will also be no squashing the fun of make believe.  And if it gives me the power to get her to go to sleep.  yay!  haha.

I have enjoyed the make believe moments probably more than she has.  It gives me a chance to feel like a child again.  And nothing is quite so fun as the light in a childs eyes as they get excited about things.  I love it!  So I suppose I will keep playing make believe...and I surely hope the tooth-fairy DOES get to come to our house tonight...

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

That is hilarious. I think it was one of Felicia's boys who didn't get anything but a note from the tooth fairy because his room was too messy and she couldn't get to his bed. :)